“I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.” – Acts 13:47
Hi everyone! Cece here again sharing with you the heart and art behind this simple page.
Every summer, my home church in Manila goes through a season of evangelism. So for a period of about two months, our focus and our mission is to share the gospel to our family, friends, neighbors, colleagues, classmates, students, etc.. At the end of the two-month period, we cap it off with a water baptism and celebrate as we welcome our new brothers and sisters to the family of God. I believe it is so important to be sure that we are being lights to our community and shining brighter each day so that we are prepared to share the good news to any one at any time.
In Philippians 2:14-16 it says, “Do all things without grumbling or disputing that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God, without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.”
Throughout the NT, the followers of Jesus are called to be lights in the darkness.
What does it mean to shine?
1. “Cast off the works of datkness and put on the armour of light.” (Romans 13:12) We live in a dark world, full of hate, confusion, and lies. While others are chasing after physical pleasures and selfish gain, we’re commanded to live a different way– “to put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.” (Romans 13:14)
2. “Let your light shine before others.” (Matthew 5:16a) Jesus explained that no one lights a lamp just to hide it under a basket. A lamp is meant to be placed on a stand to give light to everything around it. Whether you’re timid or outgoing, you’re called to be a light to the people around you.
3. ‘Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16) Our goal should never be to bring recognition to ourselves, but to bring glory to God.
How do we shine?
1. Be careful what you say. We should take our speech seriously. Words are powerful and can be used for good or bad.
2. Use social media wisely. People are watching what you post, whether they interact with your posts or not. Think about what you’ve posted recently– articles, comments, pictures, etc. Are they self-centered? Rude? What’s your motive? To put others down or make them jealous? Social media is such a powerful platform that we can use to spread love and kindness and share about Jesus.
3. Think of others. Consider other people’s needs and help meet them. Encourage instead of criticize. Be patient. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Distance yourself from gossip.
As I write this, I’m encouraged and reminded how important my actions are. Let’s all strive to be clean and pure that we can be a light and a strong reflection of light. The Lord Jesus Christ is our example and our strength. May we all commit to follow Him to become the shining light to the world.
I used a mix of stickers and alphas for this page. I wanted simple but pretty. I knew I wanted to write out “Be a light & shine brighter today” and used a combination of coral and yellow stickers. Then I decorated with flowers, hearts, and washy tape before topping it with a bow included in the kit. Last, I drew some lines for some journaling.
Have you purchased your faith art box yet? If not, what are you waiting for? Get one here today and discover how easy it is to use and play with. I’m Cece and I have been journaling since January 2017, visit my Instagram to follow my progress.